Blessed sandwiches and their endless universe of gastronomic possibilities. Late breakfast bar, light snack between meals, picnic lunch, travel and outing companion, whimsical snack or impromptu casual dinner; hot or cold, drier or dripping juices, accepting leftovers or following more sophisticated recipes: there are sandwiches of all shapes and for all tastes , and whoever gets bored with them is because they want to.
Although technically they are not so different from the sandwich , the popular consensus of our country places the sandwich as the exclusive territory of hard bread , loaves or loaves , with its crispy crust and more or less firm crumb, but far from the sweeter tenderness of the bread . of mold . A full-fledged sandwich has to work the jaw, and is capable of holding almost anything we throw at it.
The RAE dictionary simply defines a sandwich as an “open piece of bread, or a set of two slices, inside which some food is placed or spread”, a description as simple as it is precise, since it makes little sense to want to limit too much a dish with such popular roots and subject to endless interpretations.
Although it is difficult to make a mistake when assembling a sandwich, finding the precise combination of ingredients and their proportions is not always easy, without forgetting the personal preferences of each one. At Directo al Paladar we love to recreate the most traditional recipes, those that taste like a neighborhood cafeteria or a roadside bar, but we also enjoy somewhat more innovative fillings, sometimes arising from improvisation.
Because any occasion is a good one to enjoy a good sandwich at home, we have gathered our favorite recipes below , with options for all tastes and with minimal complications. And let’s not forget that, in all cases, starting with good quality bread will always be essential.
A great classic from Madrid that makes you raise your eyebrows when you set foot in the capital for the first time and they present it to you as one of their essential dishes. Much can be argued about where the best ones are served, but prepared at home we will control the entire process to our liking. It is very important to invest in quality fresh squid, and achieve a perfect frying.
For 2 persons
- small fresh squid1
- Chickpea flour50g _
- Common wheat flour50g _
- Baguette bread or rolls for sandwichestwo
- extra virgin olive oil
How to make a squid sandwich
- total time15m _
- Elaboration5m _
- Cooking10m _
We clean the squid and separate the fins and tentacles. The body is cut into rings with a sharp knife. The fins are somewhat harder so we will use them for stews.
Mix the flours and pass the squid to flour them. It is important to remove the excess , shaking the squid over a colander. Heat plenty of olive oil to about 180ºC , so that the batter is crispy. Fry until well browned.
Remove them with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper . We distribute generously on the breads, previously opened in half. Optionally you can add mayonnaise or lemon juice.5 4 3 two 1
Full recipe | Squid sandwich, the recipe for the popular Madrid “sandwich” .
Veal sandwich with sautéed pepper, onion and mozzarella
This sandwich has no greater mystery than combining grilled beef fillets and its vegetable garnish between two pieces of bread, with the juicy and fresh touch of mozzarella. For those who love full and hot sandwiches , without the need to add any sauce.
- Ingredients for 1 person . 1 sweet or white onion finely julienned, 1 red pepper in strips, 2 small veal fillets, 1 sliced tomato on the vine, slices of fresh mozzarella, oregano, thyme, black pepper, salt and extra virgin olive oil, bread ciabatta or similar.
- Elaboration . Season and season the meat with thyme and oregano; Reserve. Heat a little oil in a pan and add the onion with a pinch of salt. Cook over medium-low heat until caramelized to taste. Add the pepper and sauté over medium heat until tender or crispy. Withdraw. Cut the portion of bread and open in two halves. Cook the meat on the grill or grill, making sure it is done to the point. Withdraw. Open the bread and brown on the same grill. Press to compact it a bit. Assemble the sandwich with a base of seasoned tomato, the meat, the mixture of vegetables and the cheese. Give a touch of pepper and add oregano to taste. Close and go through the grill again.
Full recipe | Beef sandwich with sautéed pepper, onion and mozzarella: recipe without complications .
Chipotle chili chicken tinga sandwich
Tinga is a typical Mexican preparation that starts by combining shredded meat with onion and tomato, often enriched with the heat of chili peppers. In this case we use smaller and more tender rolls to accommodate the juicy filling.
- Ingredients for 2 people . 250 g julienned white onion, 1 diced ripe tomato, 1 chicken breast, 4 soft rolls, 1 chipotle pepper in marinade, 2 g ground cumin, salt, black pepper and extra virgin olive oil.
- Elaboration . Sauté the onion and tomato with oil. We leave over low heat while in a pot we will have the chicken breast boiling for about 20 minutes. At the end of this time we remove the chicken from the water and shred it. Add the chicken to the skillet. Chop the chili and add it. Season with cumin, salt and pepper. Stir everything well and leave on a low heat for about 10 to 12 minutes. Heat the miniature loaves, cut them in two and fill with the tinga.
Full recipe | Chicken tinga sandwiches with chipotle chili. Mexican recipe for snacking .
Shrimp sandwich with wakame and sriracha
This is another seafood flavor for a sandwich full of flavor thanks to the more oriental touch of the ingredients that accompany the prawns or king prawns, and a spicy point that can be adjusted to taste. Today it is easy to find ready-made wakame salad in many supermarkets, but we can also make it at home .
- Ingredients for 2 people . 12 shrimp or prawn tails, 2 tablespoons of sriracha sauce or to taste, lemon juice, 2 Vienna rolls, 2 tablespoons of wakame seaweed salad, fresh coriander or parsley, extra virgin olive oil, sesame oil (optional) , salt to taste.
- Elaboration . Clean the prawns, remove the intestine and cook them in the pan with a tablespoon of olive oil and a few drops of sesame oil. Add a tablespoon of sriracha and mix well, sautéing. When we see that the prawns take on an intense red colour, add a splash of lemon juice and sauté for another minute. We put a little wakame salad on the bottom of each bun. We distribute the prawns in the two sandwiches, placing them on the seaweed salad. We finish by slicing the pan with the top of the loaves. Then, we put a few leaves of fresh coriander or parsley, and close.
Full recipe | Shrimp sandwich with wakame and sriracha for the weekend snack .
Cooked ham sandwich with quince jelly, pear and Gruyère cheese
This variant of the classic ham and cheese adds fruit in two versions, with quince jam and natural pear , which adds a point of crunchy freshness that is perfect to balance and harmonize the other ingredients. If we do not have quince jam, we can substitute it for some jam or compote with texture.
- Ingredients for 1 person . 1 loaf of good quality rustic-style bread, 30 ml of mayonnaise or plain yogurt seasoned with lemon and salt, 5 ml of Dijon mustard, quince jam, 1 not-ripe ercolina or conference pear, 2 generous slices of artisanal cooked ham , 30 g of Gruyère cheese, black pepper and extra virgin olive oil.
- Elaboration . Cut the bread and open in half. Toast lightly in a frying pan, griddle, oven or with the toaster, adding a little oil. Mix the mayonnaise with the mustard and spread the two halves. Wash and core the pear. Cut into thin slices, leaving the skin on if you don’t mind, and submerge in a deep dish with cold water and ice, so that it crisps up. Cut the quince paste into slices and do the same with the Gruyère cheese, without the rind. Assemble the sandwich by alternating layers of ingredients, drying the pear well, and sprinkling black pepper on the cheese. Add a splash of good quality extra virgin olive oil before closing the bread.
Full recipe | Cooked Ham Sandwich with Quince, Pear and Gruyère Cheese: Recipe for a Mess-Free Dinner .
Pulled pork sandwiches with avocado
This recipe is a perfect example of what goes into a good homemade pulled pork and why it is worth making more and having leftovers in the fridge or freezer . Also taking advantage of the juices of its delicious sauce, we will need little else to assemble some delicious sandwiches. We could also make them with leftover Crock-Pot Pork Tenderloin , or Roast Pork Shoulder .
- Ingredients for 2 people . 2 rolls, 1 large ripe avocado, black or normal olive salt, 1 head of lettuce, 30 g of roast sauce, 100 g of pulled pork, 1/2 red onion (optional).
- Elaboration . Mix the sauce with the pulled pork and give a slight heat stroke in the microwave, about 30 seconds. Cut the rolls in half, slightly diagonally and without reaching the end or separating the top from the base. Wash and dry four leaves of the lettuce heart, crush them with the palm of your hand and place two on the base of each bun. Cut the avocado in half, save one of them for future elaborations and remove the meat from the other. We cut it into slices 0.5 cm thick and distribute them. If we use red onion, we cut some strips and place them on the avocado. We distribute the warm pulled pork, sprinkle with black olive salt and serve.